The death on April 5 of the little Geobel Damir Ortiz Ramírez, in Miami, has caused shock on and outside the island, where the case of the 10 -year -old boy aroused solidarity and rose to the political field.
Ortiz Ramírez suffered from type 1 neurofibromatosis and other complications. He had been transferred to the United States and admitted to Nicklaus Children’s Miami Hospital with his mother Eliannis Ramírez, in search of medical care for his condition, initially treated in Cuba as leukemia.
The Cuban authorities have been indicated by the erroneous diagnosis and by hindering the efforts to be urgently transferred to the United States.
«Damir did not die. Damir was killed by the negligence of a system (…) his death began much earlier … in a hospital in Cuba where a Burkitt lymphoma was erroneously diagnosed. They treated him unconfirmed. They gave him chemotherapy without being safe. And while his body weakened, his true diagnosis – neurofibromatosis type 1— Saturday Dr. Alexander Jesús Figueredo.
«When he could finally leave the country, it was already late. In the United States they discovered that Damir, in addition to being poorly diagnosed, had severe bacterial infections that were never detected on the island. The result was lethal: a sepsis that resulted in septic shock. Damir died in a hospital with resources, but victim of a system that condemned him from the beginning,» the doctor added.
In his opinion, this, like many other cases, is a «reflection of collapsed public health, where lack of supplies, medical indoctrination, institutional disinterest and human abandonment combine in a lethal recipe.»
The ruling party, through its spokesman Humberto López and officials of the Ministry of Public Health said that the complaints about the child’s case were part of a «campaign of defamation against Cuban medicine.»
The island’s health authorities defended the attention provided at the Juan Manuel Márquez Pediatric Hospital and blamed the mother to interfere with the treatment of the child.
In Miami, Eliannis Ramírez offered a press conference at the American Museum of the Cuban diaspora, in which she was accompanied by important figures of Cuban exile.
Numerous media from the south of Florida echoed the complaint of this mother, who said without capujos that his son «were letting him die.»
«I manifested with Diasniurka Salcedo Verdecia in 2023, in the Ministry of Public Health, and when Damir was 8 years old, and I have to say that thanks to her I began to see the light, of all the truth and of all the poorly attended that my son was since he was born,» said Ramírez, remembering that she is one of the eight mothers who protested in front of the headquarters of the Minsap of 2023.
In social networks, the United States embassy in Cuba expressed «its deepest condolences for the death of the child.»
«We join the pain of his family, friends and the entire community that today cries his departure. What his memory always living,» wrote the US diplomatic headquarters.
Cuban American congresswoman María Elvira Salazar also offered her «more condolences for Damir’s family.»
The legislator said that the child is «another victim of the Cuban dictatorship.»
«Damir not only represents an irreparable loss for his family and loved ones, but also a symbol of the price that so many Cubans continue to pay every day,» he said.
In the same way, the Cuban congressman Mario Díaz-Balart was also manifested: «My deepest condolences for the tragic death of young Damir Ortiz. This news saddens me deeply. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time difficult.»
#dies #Miami #Damir #Ortiz #childs #case #aroused #wave #solidarity #complaints #Minsap
Source link